31090051

Our previous tenant moved out at the beginning of February.

Our previous tenant moved out at the beginning of February. I asked him before moving out if he had arranged for their mail to be redirected. He told me that he had arranged for the change of address, and anything that came in should be sent back to the sender. The mail that is coming in is clearly important stuff, many items marked Private. I suspect there are money issues as we had problems with them before they left, which has led to him being under investigation by CID, so I suspect there are debts. I have sent on two lots of mail to them, because they looked important, I don't see why sending the items back to the senders should be our responsibility, or that of the new tenant. How do I stand with this?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

You are correct. You have no responsibility for this. You can advise the tenant that current mail will be held for 3 weeks and if he doesn't collect it, it will be destroyed. You should reiterate that he should put a redirect in place.

If the tenant can't organise his own affairs then you have no responsibility to do so for him.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.