31090051

We have a grand-daughter who is just over a year old, we see

Customer Question

We have a grand-daughter who is just over a year old, we see her when my son is home from the rigs, my daughter-in-law took a grudge against me which I can't get my head round because we were very close before this happened. This is our first grandchild so this is very heart breaking.

Diane
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry that you're in this situation. Although the Scottish government is looking at the issue of contact rights for grandparents at the moment, the law at present is that grandparents do not, as a matter of law, have rights to see grandchildren.

For that reason the times you see her will be restricted to when your son brings her, unless you can win round the mother and persuade her that it would be in your granddaugter's best interests that you have regular contact.

Those are the only options open to you at the moment, I'm afraid.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.