31090051

Iam seeking a divorce after f ive years separation - no kids

Customer Question

Iam seeking a divorce after f ive years separation - no kids under 16 - i own the property and all the savings are mine. My savings are isas which are only in my name as set up by me.
We never ever had a joint bank account. Every bill is in my name and my ex has never paid any maintenance in over 5 years.Is he entitled to half of my savings and half of my property.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

If these assets were acquired after you married and before you separated your ex is entitled to a share. The share may not be a half. It depends what he took away from the marriage.

Any property acquired before the marriage or after the separation he is not entitled to.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.