29905560

I am the landlord of some commercial properties & have just

Customer Question

I am the landlord of some commercial properties & have just missed a term date to increase the rent on one of them. The lease states:

'1. The lease shall be for one year commencing on 14th March 2011. This term will be extended for a further year, and year to year thereafter, unless at least three months written notice of the termination of the tenancy is given by either party.'

I presume that there is nothing I can now do to increase the rent as the negotiations did not start till 27 Feb 2014?
Also I presume that if I start negotiations for a rent increase in, say, Dec 2014 & they break down my only option, if I want to pursue the increase, would be to serve a notice to quit before 14 Jan 2015 by recorded delivery?

The lease also states:
'4. The service charge shall be £964 per annum (£241 per quarter) payable quarterly in advance along with the rent. This service charge shall cover the cost of all gas used for central heating, the servicing of the gas central heating boiler, building’s insurance, all communal internal and external repairs, replacements and redecoration and the cleaning of communal areas. It will also cover the repair, replacement and redecoration of the external windows and doors which are exclusive to the Premises. This service charge may be reviewed annually in line with inflation and/or increased costs.'

Have I also missed the opportunity to increase the service charge?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Josh-2010 replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Could you kindly confirm the wording of the rent increase provision from the lease please? I am grateful for your confirming the wording of the termination provision from the same.

JACUSTOMER-e71yruyw- :

There is no provision in the lease for a rent increase.

JACUSTOMER-e71yruyw- :

Can you just confirm that your answer will relate to Scottish Law.

JACUSTOMER-e71yruyw- :

11:28 AM

Can you just confirm that your answer will relate to Scottish law

Joshua :

My apologies. I will ask that this is transferred to the Scottish legal section where one of my colleagues will be able to assist you. Kind regards