31090051

Hi, We sent out and received tenders for some building work

We sent out and received tenders for some building work on behalf of our client. The client signed an acceptance for one of the contractors to do the work, we contacted the client and verbally asked him to proceed with the work and sent out the formal acceptance a week later. In between these times another contractor visited the client, who is a vulnerable person, and got them to sign another acceptance for their company to do the work.
How does the law stand when a client signed a contract with two companies for the same work. The first company was organising to start the work when they were told that another contractor was doing the work. Does the first contract fall when another contract is signed.
Appreciate any help you can give.
We are a charitable organisation which helps vulnerable people get work done on their homes.
Roy
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Strictly the client is in breach of contract to the contractor which doesn't get the work. I would talk to the client and tell him to proceed with the first contractor. There is valid contract there entered into after input from your organisation. Tell the second contractor that the client is vulnerable and didn't understand what he was signing therefore the contract is voidable.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.