31090051

I have been renting a 1 bedroom flat in Edinburgh and a couple

I have been renting a 1 bedroom flat in Edinburgh and a couple of weeks ago the property was burgled. Unfortunately, I did not have my contents insured and lost about £500 worth of possessions. The property is in a tenament flat with shared access via a front security door; this door is operated by both Yale lock and intercom access; The electronic latch was not working and it is possible to gain entry by simply pushing open the door. My own front door was broken through using a large implement possibly a sledge hammer.I wanted to know if there was any recourse against the building management company for failing to provide a secure access to the common stairwell?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

What does your lease say about the provision of front door security?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm afraid there isn't one; it was 'booked' through Edlets in Edinburgh, who normally deal with short-term lets; I never signed any lease or agreement with the Landlord. I enquire of her whether there was a building management company responsible for the front security door and her reply was -

> Hi again Ciaran - meant to say I'm not sure what you mean by a

> buildings management company - we don't have factors in Edinburgh like

> some other cities do and we generally agree repairs etc amongst the

> tenants in the stair and agree to share costs - is that what you meant?

>

> D

She stated she only has building insurance. The door to my property has only been temporarily been repaired, with a temporary replacement door not scheduled until 16 Apr 2014, new door scheduled 22 May. Front door has not be repaired to date.

I spoke with Edlets and they have essentially said it is between me and the landlord regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The landlord has a duty to provide a secure property. He has done so by providing you with a flat which locks. There is no law that would compel him to provide secure close access. Many properties don't have this anyway.

I'm afraid you don't have any recourse against the landlord or his agent, sorry.

Happy to discuss further.