31090051

I had a lease for my commercial property - I rent a room in

I had a lease for my commercial property - I rent a room in an old house and run my business from there. It was a fixed term, 1-year lease. Once the lease was up, I think I was issued another lease, but last time the lease term was up, a new lease was not issued. In the original lease, the contract could only be ended at the end of term of the lease and then with the tenant (me) giving 3 months notice of it wanting to end. (eg the lease is up in September, and I would have to tell them in the June that I wanted to go).

I would now like to end the tenancy. Can I assume that because I do not have a current lease, and I pay monthly, that I am on a month-to-month contract? Or am I tied into the original lease period of 1 year?

Also, would I then still be entitled to my deposit returned?

I am in Scotland if that makes any difference.

Elaine Dall
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

The last lease has renewed itself for another year by what called tacit relocation. You should give three months notice before the end of the next term.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.