31090051

can my swimming club increase monthly fees (next payment is

Customer Question

can my swimming club increase monthly fees (next payment is due 1/5) and expect me to pick up tab for two months I was not advised about. They are looking for additional £10 for months March and April despite only advising me of increase yesterday. Many thanks XXXXX
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Unless there is a specific mechanism for advising increases in fees, ie, a written contract, they can't import terms in a contract retrospectively. If you haven't been advised in advance and if a written contract doesn't allow them to do this them they can't do this.

The reason is that you should always be given the opportunity not to accept an increase and to terminate the contract with them and by demanding increased payments after the event you don't have the opportunity to do so.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.