31090051

Has the landlord and tenant act 1954 stating this act does

Has the landlord and tenant act 1954 stating this act does not apply to Scotland, has this changed so that the law and any act does apply to,Scotland with regards XXXXX XXXXX lease which is year to year but want to end and have given 3 months notice? But being held responsible for the lease until October 2014 when it supposedly expires. The lease was up in 2008 and never renewed but according to the landlord it then went automatically to a year to year lease. I want to terminate this lease as of January and gave 3 months notice but he is disputing this and saying I must pay rent and repairs until October? Can you give any advice on this.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

This Act doesn't apply on Scotland. A lease for an initial term of a year or longer will continue on a year to year basis unless terminated. This is called tacit relocation and applies to Scotland.

You can't just give a months notice. The lease runs until the termination date, known as the ish, which is the anniversary of the end of the original lease.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.