31090051

My mother enjoys liferent in the family home owned by myself

My mother enjoys liferent in the family home owned by myself and siblings. Regrettably she has recently had to move to nursing home accommodation and will not return to the house. It is our intention to sell the house shortly however would like to know what we have to do to remove the sale restriction. My sister and myself hold a joint power of attorney over our mothers affairs
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Well done for having a power of attorney drawn up! Many don't and have to go to court for the powers necessary to renounce a liferent.

However, you and your sister can execute a renunciation of the liferent on behalf of your mother and this can be registered along with the title deed when the house is transferred to the new owner. The solicitor dealing with the sale can draft the renunciation for you.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.