31090051

I accidently damaged my car. I contacted the insurer who accepted

I accidently damaged my car. I contacted the insurer who accepted the claim but stated that they would take my car approx. 40 miles to one of their recommended repairers. This is in keeping with the policy.
However, I have never heard of the repairer and have no knowledge of any reputation good or bad. I am concerned as to why they would not use a local main dealer. I have therefore asked them to provide written proof that the use of their repairer would not affect the existing vehicle warranty plus a copy of the BSI Quality Standard Certificate which the insurer claims their repairer has before I accept that my car will go to them.
They have refused to provide this documentation
What are my rights / responsibilities in this matter.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.The contract of insurance, which you are bound by, will provide that the insurer can use their approved repairer. An insurer will never use a main dealer because of the cost as opposed to their approved repairers with which they will have pre arranged pricing. However, in my experience, the insurer's approved repairers are good. They have to be otherwise the insurers would not use them. Do two things:1. Call the dealer you bought the car from for conformation that an accident repair organised by your insurer won't affect the vehicle's warranty. It is unlikely to do so except in the case of certain German luxury cars in which case you can take this up again with the insurers. 2. Call the repairer direct and talk to them about your concerns, their BSI registration etc. They will be more than happy to discuss these with you as you aren't the first to express such concerns. Happy to discuss further. I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I wholly accept my responsibility under the terms of the policy and as you obviously realise I am only concerned that I do not end up with unnecessary financial loss.

I am not sure if this is a silly question but does the fact that the policy refers to the "recommended" repairer as opposed to "approved" repairer have any relevance.

Also, please forgive my OCD kicking in :-) but when you refer to me "not being the " forts" I assume you mean the "first".

Colin

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Can you give me the whole narrative of that section referring to "recommended?

I edited my answer to "first". The iPad autocorrect has clearly been working overtime!
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The policy refers all the way through to recommended repairers.

However it does also say that I CAN choose not to have repairs done by them but this will cost an additional £200.
I am guessing from this that the wording is irrelevant.

One last question: Is it reasonable for me to expect that they transport my car on another vehicle rather than drive it to and from the repair shop which is 40 miles away.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The question is recommended by whom hence my question. It is likely that that relates to the insurer.

It is normal for a damaged car not to be driven but transported. No reason for you to be concerned about this.