31090051

I bought a car from a local garage in Dumfries in Januray this

Customer Question

I bought a car from a local garage in Dumfries in Januray this year. Last week it broke down

and had to be towed into the local garage, I was told that there was a problem with the

wiring which they could not repair. I have taken the car back to the garage where I

bought the car. What is my position here, will I have to pay for the repair?.

Regards,

Roy Proudfoot.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

If the defect existed or is on a balance of probabilities likely to have existed when you bought the car then you have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. You can argue that the car is not of satisfactory quality and can insist that the seller meet the cost of the repairs. If they refuse to do so you can reject the car and claim damages including the price you paid.

This assumes that the defect is material which I presume it is if the car had to be towed.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.