31090051

is it legally safe for the man?

Customer Question

The age for a minor in scotland is <16, the age in PA usa is <18, if a guy was 22 in Scotland and a girl was 17 in PA usa and if they wanted to do anything sexual over phone or Internet (camera sex, phone sex, dirty texts etc), is it legally safe for the 22 year old man in scotland? Also even if its out of pure love...

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

The man would technically be breaking the US law even though he was in Scotland. That is the theory. In practice, there would have to be an extradition, for charges to be brought and that would be very unlikely if both parties were consenting.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. But how common or even likely would it be that scotland would deport a citizen to be charged in the US or would scotland feel obliged?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
In my opinion it would be very unlikely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last thing, thanks. The father of the girl is threatening to get an investigation done but the daughter does not want that, does this make a difference? the man may have to hire a lawyer in case and is a bit scared, considering the choice would have been out of love to do so and the guy was initially against it, also considering the laws of his country it is ok. Any thoughts?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
I'm not understanding you, sorry. I thought that the US law was <18 so it would not be OK in US.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is not ok for it in the US but the man lives in scotland, but the father is against her daughter dating which lives in the US. sorry the man I was refering to in the last message was the man from Scotland, not the father.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
If the father made enough noise about it, the US police could use Interpol to contact the police here and make life quite unpleasant for the man in Scotland irrespective of the legalities. The law is that you can commit an offence in one country while living in another although whether the authorities would do anything about it is another matter.

I would be careful but Indont think at you are committing an offence in Scotland.