31090051

My partner is going through the divorce process at present.

My partner is going through the divorce process at present. It has been messy to say the least. Today he received an email from his wife stating that she had put up with me interfering with the divorce and her children and that I had been verbally abusive and aggressive towards her. I have never spoken to his wife, nor met her, nor communicated with her in any way. She sent this email to her solicitor and to my partner. What can I do legally about this? Can I pursue a civil action against her for defamation? Can I get a solicitor to write on my behalf asking for a retraction? Also, can my partner pursue this matter in anyway legally, as the email was sent to him - not me?

Thanks in advance
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

His solicitor can deny the allegations. Your solicitor can also write to deny the allegations. I wouldn't raise proceedings for defamation. Such actions are very expensive to run and you won't get your costs back easily.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just an update. I have seen my solicitor who is having the sheriff office deliver a 'cease and desist' letter to her. We are hopeful that this will stop any further issues.