31090051

I have unfortuanetly just recently separated, I agreed to give

I have unfortuanetly just recently separated, I agreed to give proceeds of house to her(approx £45k) based on numbers available at the time in the agreement. This was included in the separation agreement but when we got to getting the final settlement figure the number had been miscalculated and was nearer £75k. My wife agreed verbally that I would get £10k of the difference and no need to go to lawyer, I believed and trusted her, conversation witnessed by daughter who acknowledged and agreed as the process was amicable.I was still paying all bills and mortgage until sale date. Once house sale completed and money moved into account. She stopped contacting me but sent letter telling me she had decided to give money to family. Under the Verbal Agreement laws I feel she has breached her end of the bargain when I have more than generous and fair. Do I have any rights?

Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks you for your response, if unable to answer, I can only assume that the subject is not easy or unlikely to be resolved.

If after a few days no one able to help, I would just respectfully XXXXX XXXXX not to follow up the on this any further.

thanks

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry that you have had to wait for an answer. The question has only just been picked up on my system.

The general rule is that the terms of separation agreement are binding and if there is a mistake then recourse may have to made to the source of the mistake, eg, of the lawyers didn't draft what was actually agreed at the time.

Note that there are no "verbal agreement laws" as such. A written separation agreement should be varied by a supplementary agreement. However the verbal agreement witnessed by your daughter, and relied on by you, is evidence of an acknowledgement by your wife that the agreement was not fair and reasonable at the time it was entered into. As such you would have a good case to go to court and have the agreement varied on these grounds.

It is likely that if your wife is told this she may change her stance. I have no doubt that if you took her to court to have the agreement varied and sought payment of the sum mentioned you would succeed.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.