How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 10903
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have recently married the father of my 2 children. As both

Resolved Question:

I have recently married the father of my 2 children. As both my children have my maiden name and I am now using a double barrelled name I believe that I need to get a Statutory declaration written up to allow me to apply for passports for the children in the same name as mine. Please can you advise me as to how this needs to be worded. Many Thanks
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

If you want to change the names of your children to reflect your name, ie, they would take your double barrelled name then you can do so by making application to the General Register Office for Scotland by following the link attached:

If the children have not held passports before then a statutory declaration is not required as the application will proceed on the new birth certificate issued by the General Register Office for Scotland. If they have had passports before and you are renewing these then let me know and I will assist you further.

However what you can't do is apply for a passport in names other than those on the birth certificate just so that their names match yours. You need to have their names changed and then apply for their passports.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 10903
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the response. I can confirm that both children have passports. We have been told that a statutory declaration is required and are looking for assistance on the wording of such a declaration.

Hope this helps,

Thank you
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
There are two correct scenarios here that you should follow:

1. You have, or intend to change their names, to match yours by way of application to the GRO and then renew their passports, or,

2. You are going to travel with the children on their existing passports but need a statutory declaration in the event that the different names are XXXXX XXXXX travel.

You should NOT change their names on their passports to a name other than that which is on their birth certificate. This will cause difficulties for them at later stages in life.

However the wording of a Statutory Declaration would be:

Date, place etc

1. I make this declaration solemnly and sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Statutory Declarations Act 1835.

2. My birth name isXXXXX married my husband, BY, on (date). My married name is AX-Y.

3. My husband is the father of my two children, CX and DX. From the date of our marriage the children have been known as CX-Y and DX-Y.

4. My husband consents to the children's change of name to CX-Y and DX-Y.

Sworn by AX-Y in the presence of. Notary Public of place on date"

Your husband will also have to swear a similar Affidavit consenting to the change. Both need to be sworn before a solicitor who is also a Notary Public.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Previous | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Anna's Avatar


    Teacher, writer, biologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
  • pdheslin's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
  • Kim D.'s Avatar

    Kim D.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Researcher 20+yrs in small and large institutions
  • findinganswers's Avatar


    Internet Researcher

    Satisfied Customers:

    Internet Researcher, Nurse for over 17 years, and can find answers for you!
  • ProMBA's Avatar


    Internet Researcher

    Satisfied Customers:

    I'm an owner of three businesses, with both undergraduate and graduate business degrees from top tier universities.