31090051

I was convicted of Attempted Extortion in Scotland on 14/3/1977

I was convicted of Attempted Extortion in Scotland on 14/3/1977 and paid a £250 fine. I was caught speeding in August 2013 and I was surprised that, after 37 years the Citation mentioned the conviction as a previous record. Is there any way that I can have this deleted from my record?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately not. You are not entitled to have a criminal record deleted. Sometimes when the authorities renew their computer systems old criminal records are deleted but there is no requirement to do so nor can you demand or request it's removal.

In real terms, a court would have little or no regard for such a conviction in dealing with a road traffic issue so many years later.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.