31090051

My husband and I have been separated for a year, he sent me

My husband and I have been separated for a year, he sent me papers for a DIY divorce, he asked me to sign and I said I would sign if we agreed to a financial settlement, he asked for a price. I told him to make me an offer and he told me to forget it, he would wait for the 2 year threshold. Will I still be entitled to receive a settlement from him after 2 years even though he doesn't need my signature? I have our two daughters (21 and 20 years old) living with me
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

It is very important that as and when the court sends you the papers for the two year divorce that you write to the court objecting to the divorce on the basis that a financial settlement is yet to be reached. If divorce is granted it will then be too late.

You should take a more proactive approach, however, and get your solicitor to write to your husband with a view to him seeing his own lawyer so that a financial settlement can be negotiated without waiting for the two year period to expire.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.