31090051

Hi - I jointly own a property with my ex-partner, who has just

Hi - I jointly own a property with my ex-partner, who has just moved out. We have owned it for just over 5 years. There is a mortgage of £40K and equity of around £130K. When we bought the property, my partner put down a larger proportion of the deposit, which I have been gradually paying back to her over the last five years, but there is no official record of this. When the house is sold, what will be the financial breakdown in relation to who gets what?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nicloa - yes, please continue your search.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. Your question has now been passed to me. I am a solicitor in Scotland.

As you have paid your share of the deposit to your former partner, the proceeds of sale should be divided equally after payment of the mortgage.

If she denies that you have paid her this money then there will be a problem as the money would have to be consigned with the lawyer until an agreement is reached.

I suggest that you try to reach a written agreement with her before the house is marketed for sale.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.