31090051

I had a new wetroom installed in April this year. There were

Customer Question

I had a new wetroom installed in April this year. There were a number of faults and poor workmanship and after several attempts to rectify the matter the installer has agreed to rip out the new wetroom and start again.
If the reinstall is finished to a satisfactory standard do I have any legal rights to compensation for the inconvenience?

The Local Authority has awarded me an 80% grant towards the cost of the new bathroom. Should the wetroom not meet their standards the grant will not be paid. The grant award is time limited to 29th July 2014. As the contract for the wetroom is between me and the contractor what will be my liability if the grant is not paid as a result of not meeting the LA's standards within the required timescale?

Alistair
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

The answer to your question is that, yes, compensation for inconvenience is a competent head of claim and you can claim compensation in the circumstances you described.

As far as the contract between you and the contractor is concerned, if there is no mention of the grant, this is not relevant to the contract. You should make sure that there is a written statement in the contract that time is of the essence of the contract. It should be clearly stated that you are receiving grant assistance and because of this the contract has to be completed by the stipulated date and has to be completed to a workmanlike standard.

This will protect your position in the event that the contractor does not complete the work on time to a good standard.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.