31090051

This query is applicable only to Scots Law, which is entirely

Customer Question

This query is applicable only to Scots Law, which is entirely different from English Law. I would like to know if I qualify for Legal Aid re a dispute with an ex business partner/fellow Company Director. The two of us ran the business and we have now fallen out over cash and property. I am not on benefits, however although I own a substantial home, I have no cash nor income.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

I am a Scots lawyer. In terms of applying for legal aid your own home and assets which are the subject matter of the dispute aren't usually taken into account.

However from a political point of view, the Scottish Legal Aid Board are very reluctant to grant legal aid for business disputes so your friend is right to that extent.

You have to establish financial eligibility and also establish that it's in the interests of justice that you are granted legal aid. Again they do not like granting legal aid to business people.

That does not mean that it is impossible. You will have to see a solicitor and submit an application and take it from there.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose , by what you say, it means that there is a very slim outside chance of being successful in aid being granted in my case.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Yes there is and it is certainly worth making the application.