31090051

My friend is going through an acrimonious divorce in Scotland.

My friend is going through an acrimonious divorce in Scotland. Her soon to be ex-husband had a much nicer car than her at the time of separation. It was bought second hand approx. 1 year before, so will not drop so much in value as a new car. She had a terrible car, that was sold last year for scrap. Whether she manages to stay in the matrimonial house or has to sell, and split all their assets, can she claim for her side of the ledger, the difference between the value of their respective cars?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the value of the car goes into the "pot" of matrimonial property to be shared between them as does the value of all property acquired during the marriage.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is important, so just to clarify - even if she manages to stay in the house, the value of the car goes into the pot?

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Yes.