31090051

If I cancel a holiday booked for jan2015 paid £375 pounds

Customer Question

If I cancel a holiday booked for jan2015 paid £375 pounds deposit but have not signed conformation document will I lose deposit
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

It would depend on the terms and conditions pointed out to you by the agent or online at the time of booking. A sale of a holiday doesn't necessarily have to have a signature. A verbal booking in a travel agents or on the phone or one made online is sufficient to make a valid and binding contract.

I haven't seen the terms and conditions relevant to you but typically once a deposit is taken it is non returnable unless there are specific clauses to the contrary. For example, sometimes a portion of the deposit is returnable depending on when the cancellation is made.

Every case has to be looked at individually, however. There is no general law on this as it is a matter of contract.

Happy to discuss further or look at any papers you have. You can send these to [email protected] and ask that they be forwarded to JGM.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.