29905560

I cant make full payment of business rates I have offer to

Customer Question

I can't make full payment of business rates I have offer to pay £500 a month they have refused it the rates are for a year arround £33000 payable and we are only open for last one year and business is not doing good right now what can I do can I take it to the court .
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Rates are a tax and can't be taken to court. The council pursue arrears of rates by way of summary warrant. In other words they don't gave to raise an action for payment. They can go straight to enforcement. The warrant can only be challenged if the figure sought is wrong.

Is the amount the council seek the wrong amount?