31090051

I have been asked by my aunt to take over as next of kin from

I have been asked by my aunt to take over as next of kin from her sister, my other aunt, as she is now 86 years old and does not want the worry of dealing with funeral arrangements etc. Is this a legal requirement?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

There is not really a legal concept of next of kin under the law of Scotland although the healthcare authorities do seem to refer to next of kin.

You can be nominated as next of kin by your aunt if she wants you to deal with her affairs. The correct way of doing it in Scotland is to have her make you her attorney by way of a registered power of attorney. If she wants you to deal with her funeral and estate after her death she should make you an executor in her will.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.