31090051

Can you tell me what a Deed of Servitude is in Scotland.

Can you tell me what a 'Deed of Servitude' is in Scotland. I think it relates to our private water supply that has its source on a neighbour's land.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

A deed of servitude grants certain rights to a non owner over the land of another person who owns land.

So a deed of servitude in respect of a water supply would allow you to draw water from the neighbouring land and also allow access to the land to maintain and renew the pipes etc.

The deed is registered at the Registers of Scotland and is a heritable deed which means that it transfers to new owners of the land and is not just personal to the original parties to the deed.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.