31090051

My wife and I are going through a divorce and one of my children

My wife and I are going through a divorce and one of my children (a 10year old girl) is displaying severe behavioural problems. These have coincided with the escalation of the divorce. I would like my daughter to see a child psychologist. Can I do this independently of my wife or do I need to inform her that I am going to pursue this? Can she stop me from taking my daughter for help?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
In terms of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995, both parents have parental rights and responsibilities and accordingly have a duty to discuss this with each other.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I plan to inform my wife. I just would like to know if she can legally prevent me from getting help for my daughter - by legal means or other?
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
She can attempt to do so but would have to go to court and the court would then have to decide whether this would be in your daughter's best interests or not.