31090051

hello,i live in galashiels and was in dobbie,s in dalkieth

hello,i live in galashiels and was in dobbie,s in dalkieth yesterday on a quick visit......had dog basket,2 candles,2 bones and a car freshner in my trolley....went into the food hall and got bits and bobs.....paid for them and went to walk out.....alarms went off....so i waited on a member off staff who asked for my reciept......i went to look for it.....never had one except for the food one......went to the desk.....they asked who served me.....i had a look,and realised no one had!! id been so stressed id forgot to pay!! they called the police,and i was arrested and charged with shoplifting!!im 44yrs old,never been in trouble in my life and i honestly thought i,d paid....im self employed and im worried to death,im soooo affronted,i had £620 on me,so its not that i did not have the money to pay,i was in to much off a rush......what can i do?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
If the procurator fiscal elects to take this to court then you will have to get a lawyer to represent you. You could plead not guilty and be successful in that plea on the basis that there is no evidence that you intended to steal the goods:
1. You had money on you.
2. You had paid for other goods.
3. You made no attempt to resist being stopped at the barrier.
4. The facts point to this being an oversight.
I hope you told the police that. If so the PF may not prosecute at all.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i got such a fright,that i cant really remember what i told the police,though i can remember offering to pay

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
That being the case all goes in your favour. I would try not to worry about it too much.
1. You may be offered a warning or a fiscal fine.
2. If you are prosecuted you would be able to put up a defence.