31090051

where do I stand with a service provider that I used for 6

where do I stand with a service provider that I used for 6 months a(2 yr contract) then I moved from that area where they did not support my broadband( unbeknown to me) so that meant I had to use the only server that was available in that area. I did not want to terminate my contract but I had no choice. They are now demanding £81.83 for the disconnection fee which I feel is unjust as it was not my choice to leave their service. I told them when I had the broadband installed that I would be moving in 6months time and was told that I can take my broadband box to my new dwelling. When I went into their store to inform them that I was moving home they told me that their service did not support that area and would need to use another service provider of which there was only one that I could use. I spoke to the advisor on the phone and they said that I would not be charged for the disconnection. They are now threatening to take legal action after numerous e-mails to them explaining that I had not expected to move home and not be able to take their broadband with me as I was informed that I could. Please can you tell me if I have any rights on this. Thankyou, Margaret
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The contract came to an end through impossibility of performance. They should not be threatening you like this. If you can't get them to cancel the charge, and it sounds like one section not communicating with another, report them to OFCOM. That will solve the problem.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear JGM, many thanks for your quick response to my problem and for your advice. I will pursue this further and, if necessary, report it to OFCOM at your suggestion. Regards, Margaret.