31090051

My grandson was an inpatient voluntarily in a psychiatric unit

My grandson was an inpatient voluntarily in a psychiatric unit and because there were no beds in the Fife area they sent him to the borders he received treatment for 11 days and was transferred back to lynnbank to be seen by the psychiatrist on his team for assessment. During his assessment the police arrived and detained him and took him away to the police station they kept him overnight and he went to court a 9am they missed doses of his medication are they within their rights to take him from the psychiatric unit
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
As he was receiving treatment voluntarily, the police had the right to arrest him but his detention and care thereafter ought to have been under advisement from his doctors and the police have a duty to ensure that any necessary medication is made available.
You should ask the doctors if it was safe to have allowed him to be removed from the unit without medication and act according to what they say about that. If they say he should not have been removed or not removed without his medication then you would have grounds to make a complaint to the police.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.