31090051

I have been seperated for 16 months with an official seperation

Customer Question

I have been seperated for 16 months with an official seperation date.I have recently bought a property jointly with a partner . My ex still lives in the marital property I am still paying half the mortgage. Does she have any rights to know how I bought the property, who i bought it with and does she have any claim on this new property. A financial agreement has not been raeched yet.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
She has a right to know what the extent of matrimonial property is as at the date of separation. If you used matrimonial funds she would be entitled to know how much so that this can be accounted for. She does not have to know with whom you bought the property although this can easily be found by looking at the Land Register which most solicitor have direct access to.
She isn't entitled to make a claim on this property on the basis I that it was acquired after your separation.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.