31090051

i have had an offer accepted in principle on a house but the

Customer Question

i have had an offer accepted in principle on a house but the seller is keeping it on the market is this allowed?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is allowed, in the same way that you could walk away and offer for another house. Until missives are concluded there is no legal obligation on either party to proceed.

It is quite common nowadays for a seller to keep the house on the market until the buyer concludes missives. The reason is that it is more difficult to get a mortgage and a seller won't often want to prejudice the possibility of securing another buyer if the one that offers doesn't follow through with the purchase.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.