31090051

I contacted a firm of solicitors with regard to compensation

I contacted a firm of solicitors with regard to compensation for my suffering as a child in an orphanage in Scotland & was informed that there is a cut off period for claims which stopped in 1964.
Can you please advise me?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The rule in Scotland is that an action like that has to be raised within three years of your eighteenth birthday or within three years of the date on which you became aware or reasonably ought to have been aware that any injury or condition results from your treatment as a child.
There are exceptions to the rule if the court considers that it reasonable to allow you to bring the claim but it is very difficult to persuade the court to do so. You would have to take very detailed advice on your specific circumstances from a specialist solicitor.
I can give you a case which you can read so that you can see the issues that might arise. I will post a link for you after I post this narrative.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Here's the link I promised you above.
http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/2006CSOH93.html