31090051

I have been asked if I will give a statement with regards to

I have been asked if I will give a statement with regards ***** ***** incident that happened nearly 30 years ago. I don't want to. Do I have to?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
If this is part of an ongoing investigation by the police in relation to a crime then they are entitled to ask you questions if they think you are a witness and have information.
However could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was an abuse that happened nearly 30 years ago. I was not a witness to the abuse, but I knew about it first hand because the victim is related to me and they told me about it when they were quite young. I believed them, but it was not reported to the police at the time. Reasons being not wanting to drag the young child through the courts. This happened in the 1980s. The child in question is now an adult and has just recently reported the incident.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your response. The police are entitled to interview you and use you as a witness, assuming you can remember things after this length of time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have not asked to interview me. He rang me and asked me if I knew anything. I said I did but I was in shock. He asked if I would give a statement. I said yes, I am not a witness, because I was not there at the time.