31090051

- this relates to Scots Law - I purchased a car from a garage

- this relates to Scots Law - I purchased a car from a garage 2 years ago who checked the vehicle for Finance and it came back clear. They purchased the vehicle from another garage and they ran the same the same checks and it came back clear to them also. I have just received a letter from a solicitor stating that the car is still under finance and I have no legal title to the vehicle - where do I stand with this
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Legally the car belongs to the finance company even if where you bought the car in good faith.
Your remedy is a claim against the garage you bought the car from which will either have to pay off the finance or make a claim against the HPI insurance assuming the checks that were carried out were insurance backed.
At this stage reply to the solicitors and tell them you have had the car for two years, that the checks were clear and tell them the identities of the garage you bought from and if you have it the garage they acquired the car from.
It sounds like a situation where the car was traded in and moved on and there has been a failure to repay the finance.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.