31090051

Dear Sir/Madam,I am writing to ask a question re knife regulation

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to ask a question re knife regulation in the UK, specially Scotland.
I brought some donations to a not-for-profit organization yesterday, which contained some homeware including cutlery (butterknife, forks). As it was after 4 pm and the shop was closed, I left the stuff (packed in a paper box) at the door. Later I realized that there is potential risk of people, especially those under 18s, getting access to the butterknife. I came back in order to get the things back but the whole box was gone. I have contacted this organization and they shall find out whether it was one of their staff taking the things in a few days.
My concerns are:
1. If there is someone committing an offence with the stuff I left at the door, whether an adult or under aged, will I be liable for the offence?
2. Though I am very eager to report this to prevent potential harm, I am now anxious that my action of leaving the stuff at the door itself is an offence.
Any answers, suggestions and leads would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Kate
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
1. No, you can't be held responsible for the crimes of another.
2. No you have committed no offence by leaving the box at the door, in the same way you would commit no offence had you left the box in your bin on the street.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.