31090051

I live in a rented property. A year ago I had a kitchen fire

I live in a rented property. A year ago I had a kitchen fire resulting in the landlord having to replace all the units/cooker/flooring and redecorate. A year on they have only fitted the new units/cooker. Everytime they get chased asking what's happening I get fobbed off with excuses. Anytime any tradesman does come to look at property we are lucky if we get a phone call 30 mins before they come. Landlord has a key and feels he can wonder in even if we are out.
Now a garden wall has partial collapsed blocking the side entrance. Its a danger to my granddaughter when she comes to visit. They were told 6 weeks ago but have done nothing
What are my rights? Can I withhold rent until work is done?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
If you withhold rent you might find that the landlord will take steps towards evicting you. There is no law that actually allows you to withhold rent against repairs although there is nothing to stop you trying.
Your correct way of proceeding is to report the landlord to the Private Rented Housing Panel. They can investigate and direct the landlord to carry our works. They can reduce or waive the rent until the work is done. In extreme cases they can report the landlord for prosecution.
Go to www.prhpscotland.gov.uk and read and complete the various papers.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.