31090051

My Son is nearly 17 still at school. His dad left when he was

My Son is nearly 17 still at school. His dad left when he was 2 years old he took him for 6 hrs a week for the first ten years then a few weekends untill two years ago he never came back to pick him up or even gave him a phone call. Now he has contacted the school to get information about how my son is getting on with his exams and if he is still at school I contacted the school and they say he is entitled to all this information. He has never had any contact with the school before, Thanks karen
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Unless you were married to the father or he has a court order, he does not have parental rights as your son was born before the family law legislation was changed in 2006. Nowadays if the father is on the birth certificate he has automatic parental rights. Before that the father had to be married to the mother or have a court order for parental rights.
If neither of these apply then the school is wrong and the father is not automatically entitled to the information.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.