29905560

Hi, i was charged with assault after a drunk night out. I was

Customer Question

Hi, i was charged with assault after a drunk night out. I was drunk when questioned and declined a lawyer and pleaded guilty, I was in shock at what I'd done. It's my first offence and currently serving in armed forces. One man has no injuries but another has a broken eye socket. Both assaults were one punch. I was extremely drunk don't remember it although am led to believe it was over a silly argument. I was in a bad mind set with just ending a relationship the day before and current debt and gambling problems.
Due to it being a first offence, pleading guilty and my current situation, what do you think will be the outcome at court? I do have a solicitor but won't meet until the day of my hearing. Thanks
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Civilian or military prosecution? Has there been court hearing yet? If not how have you managed to plead guilty?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Why can't you see your lawyer before the hearing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Civilian prosecution. I plead guilty at the police station and was released on bail with a court hearing 3 weeks after the arrest. I can't see my lawyer before the hearing due to work commitments. Current situation is, I've been paying off debts from gambling addiction and now 9 months without gambling. Have seen doctors about depression. Currently injured at work meaning making me feel even worse. Split up with my girlfriend on the Thursday and got too drunk on the Friday when this happened.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Is there any permanent injury on the person with the broken eye socket? That will be the difference between a consideration of a custodial sentence or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am unsure of whether there is any permanent damage or not. I imagine I will find out at my hearing in 2 weeks
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Good luck. I can't tell you what might happen without that information I'm afraid. I also suspect that your employer may take over from the Crown here as sometimes happens with armed services, assuming they know the position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am just looking for the likely outcome of my assault charge
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If the person was badly injured you will go to jail for six months to a year or longer. The judge will be concerned that this was a drunken attack by a member of the armed forces who was acting like a common thug.
Any further questions about this?