31090051

I have a multipurpose arts centre. One of the resident artists

I have a multipurpose arts centre. One of the resident artists owes £3000 in rent. He has been given lots of space to deal with this issue. And hasn't. Yesterday his studio in my building was served with notice from sheriff officers. He has some equipment in the space he rents from me. What are my rights ?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a written lease with this tenant?
If so what does it say about non payment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
Yes we have a written lease with this tenant. Because of the nature of this particular arts related business there is flexibility if someone happens to not be able to fulfill the lease agreement which is set at a monthly amount the usual procedure is a conversation which results in the rent arrears being paid off over a particular time. This process, being flexible has worked for 13 years. Except with this particular resident. Who has consistently been deceptive verbally and scripturally.
If you require any more info. I will of course supply.
Craig McKechnie
Artist/Director. Delta Studios The Creative Centre
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Most commercial leases provide for a notice of irritancy to be served where there is a brach of the lease and then an action for payment of rent and removing would be raised. A landlord also has a right of hypothec or security over any of the tenants property left on the premises.
Happy to look at the lease for you if you can scan and email to***@******.*** and ask the moderator to send to JGM. Or if you have a blank lease just cut and paste it into the narrative box.