31090051

My husband died 8 weeks. He had a pension with Standard Life

Customer Question

My husband died 8 weeks. He had a pension with Standard Life with a retirement age of 60. Last September he contacted SL to say he was extending his work to 65. We had a letter from SL last year indicating that his pension age would be 65 and assumed that the death benefit would continue as well but they omitted to tell us that the death benefit stopped at 60 and they are now saying sorry for not letting us know but they will not pay anything out. I feel they are at fault for not letting us know the circumstances as we would have taken another policy out to cover this. Do we have a claim against SL
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry for your loss.
Yes you do. I suggest that, subject to the terms of any correspondence, you go to the ombudsman about this. They have not properly advised you about this.
www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your reply. Hopefully I will be successful. Is there anything I should be focussing on when I write
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
He's, th lack of relevant advice is what you should concentrate on.