31090051

We have an issue with a previous landlord, someone who is renowned

We have an issue with a previous landlord, someone who is renowned for being a difficult and obstructive landlord in the area. He has erroneously tried to take all of our deposit and we have referred the case to the Letting Protection Service.
This has incensed him and as revenge, he has contacted our new landlords and told them all sorts of lies about us. We can prove these are lies.
We would like to send him a Cease & Desist letter. Can we do this? Who specialises in this in Scotland?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
The lies he has told are defamatory statements and are actionable as such. A cease and desist letter is simply a letter warning that action will be taken in the event that the untrue statements continue as a result of which you suffer loss and damage.
There is no great science to such a letter and any civil court solicitor will be able to help you.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.