31090051

bought a van two weeks ago in private sale got stopped on roadside

bought a van two weeks ago in private sale got stopped on roadside check by vosa numerous faults covered up by seller in private sale got garage to inspect van and repair costs are £2500 l purchased for £3200
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Scottish law I purchased a van on thursday 2nd October in a private sale although i went online to simonhorne.com l was directed to a private home the interior of the van was immaculate suggesting it was as looked after. l was stopped on a roadside check by police and vosa and a prohibition order was put on van l got police escort to garage where faults some covered up amounted to £2500 L purchased the van for £3100

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Are you in Scotland ? Your post above says England and Wales.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Glasgow

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
I will move this to Scots law for you.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You should try to check whether or not this was in fact a private sale.sometimes dealers make themselves out to be private sellers so that they do not have the same legal obligations under legislation.
However, if this was a private seller you have very few rights. The car must be as described, but the other Sale of Goods Act rules don't apply. If a private seller lies about the condition of a car, you can sue for your losses. So, what you can do about this will depend on what was said in the adverts and what was said to you by the seller.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.