31090051

The term 'in perpetuity' attaches to my purchase of a week

The term 'in perpetuity' attaches to my purchase of a week of timeshare at a Scots resort in 1986. My family have expressed no interest in inheriting ownership as they are domiciled abroad. At the time of sales pitch and subsequent purchase no explanation of the meaning of 'in perpetuity' was offered. My wife and I are now 81 and 77 years respectively and I am extremely concerned about the legal position upon our deaths - do you have any advice on this matter.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
A beneficiary can't be forced to accept a bequest so the timeshare company couldn't claim against your family. What you should do is provide in your will that the timeshare is left to the timeshare company!
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.