31090051

I work as a support worker for a prominent charity; primarily

Customer Question

I work as a support worker for a prominent charity; primarily with adults with learning difficulties, but also recently with people with acquired brain injury. I suspect that my employer is currently being less than truthful with me concerning the background and possible criminal history of a man I have been working very closely with. I have just discovered, for instance, that they have given me a different spelling of his name. I'm almost certain this man's injury was not an accident. His behaviour grows ever more threatening and hostile. Do I have any legal rights to be told this man's criminal history?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
You don't have rights to know his history but equally you should as a matter of good practice be told otherwise you are entitled to refuse to have anything to do with him if you feel threatened or uncomfortable dealing with him and you can refuse to do so if that is a reasonable thing to do.
You don't say what the reasons for your suspicions are but I presume you have a reasonable belief that there is more to his background than you have been told and if you feel threatened then your employer should not be placing you in that situation. In addition to that your employers should already have carried out a risk assessment of this person has a history of violence. You may want to ask if such an assessment was done.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.