31090051

I'm looking to get divorced. My husband is english. We got

I'm looking to get divorced. My husband is english. We got married in england in 2004. 3 years ago our marriage fell apart and i went back to South Africa to spend some time with my family. I spent almost 2 years in South Africa (as my visa allows) and have been back in the UK for over a year now already. I currently live in Scotland and have done so for 8 months. Can i apply for a divorce in Scotland?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can, as you are now habitually resident in Scotland. If you have no children to your husband you can use the simplified procedure divorce by applying to the sheriff court nearest to you. You don't need a solicitor for this, just the completed form, your marriage certificate and the court fee and it takes about six weeks.
See this link: http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/rules-and-practice/guidance-notes/simplified-divorce-and-dissolution-of-civil-partnership-guidance-notes
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.