Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law,
75100385

I am the owner of a bed & breakfast which I run in my home

Customer Question

I am the owner of a bed & breakfast which I run in my home which is joint owned by myself and my wife, we were in the process of selling the business and home together, however we found out during negotiations that all of our planning permission was not complete, we found out that although we had sought building warrants etc; we also required planning permission for 'change of use' from a domestic dwelling to a commercial premises as we have 5 letting rooms.
The buyer, having been made aware of the lack of planning permission still sought to purchase our business/home, at the last moment their lender refused them funds due to the lack of this 'planning permission' and are now sueing us for 'knowingly deceiving them'.
Our current lawyer has suggested that although I own the business and part of the house, my wife has no legal part of the business and should seek separate representation, we would appreciate advice on these matters.
Regards,
Gerry McGuinness
Email: *****@******.***
Tel: ***********
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello Gerry my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know what stage proceedings are at?

JACUSTOMER-huaqg7fm- :

We currently have a court hearing on the 27th November (next Thursday)

Alex Watts :

Yes but what is that for, a case management or trial?

JACUSTOMER-huaqg7fm- :

It has been worded as a 'hearing'

Alex Watts :

Ok. Time estimate?

JACUSTOMER-huaqg7fm- :

10am

Alex Watts :

Sorry time estimate not start time!

Alex Watts :

Is it for the whole day, 30 mins?

JACUSTOMER-huaqg7fm- :

All we know is the 'hearing is from 10am in Aberdeen.

Alex Watts :

Oh I see, this is a Scots law question. I am sorry I didnt pick up on that. let me transfer it for you.

Jamie-Law,
Experience: 
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I am a Scots lawyer and will help you with this. Can you arrange to email the court papers that you have to***@******.***. Ask the site moderator to send the file toCustomer
I will then examine the papers to see if there is anything that suggests a conflict of interests in relation to your wife. That will determine whether or not your wife should seek separate advice.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will get back to you tomorrow, thank you for your response.

Gerry

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.