29905560

I work for a company who support & build offshore oilfields.

Customer Question

I work for a company who support & build offshore oilfields. I travelled to work in Angola expecting to join the ship as usual. When I arrived in country I was told that I had to wait onshore in a staff guest house until I got a receipt from immigration for my passport that has gone in for a work permit! I have previously done this and still join the vessel so I assumed this to be the case now!
I was not informed at any point until arrival that this was to happen and therefore I was not properly prepared for an onshore stay ie. Appropriate amount & type of clothing, toiletries, medication, repellant, first aid items, reading materials etc.
Have my employers breached a duty of care to ensure my health & wellbeing?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a contract of employment? If so what does it say about this?
How long have you been employed by this company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have worked for the same company for 15 years. I do have a contract which I am contracted to work worldwide offshore. My main concern is that I was not informed of this delay which management had known about & not passed onto me. I should think this is contrary to employers duty of care
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
What did the company/you do to get this sorted out so that you were accommodated properly with clothing etc?
What medication did you need? I presume you were vaccinated to be in the country to start with?
What first aid did you require?
What reading materials did you need?
Much more detail please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing, my point is the lack of communication regarding being onshore for a lengthy period. Therefore, due to this lack of communication I sid not have appropriate type/amount of clothing for sub Sahara climate, did not carry with me sufficient ant malaria medication, have no $ left to buy necessities or luxuries, I don't have anti histamine cream for insect bites etc.
the point is that I was not told I'd be staying onshore so did not come prepared. Isn't this lack of sufficent communication against some employment law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually i don't think you can answer this question and as such I wish that my credit card is not debitted.
Additionally I see that there is a monthly option coming up. I do not want further monies deducted from my account!

This was a simple question which you couldn't answer so I will get advice elsewhere