31090051

I am a self employed Taxi Driver, in Scotland, working under

I am a self employed Taxi Driver, in Scotland, working under the umbrella of a Taxi Company to whom I pay a weekly fee for work via a Data Head. We have recently been informed that if our car is off the road we will still have to pay this fee.
Please advise
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
As you are self employed this issue is dealt with under the contract you have with the company. If this was never the situation before, then a contractual term can't be changed unilaterally and without agreement.
This is obviously easier to establish of there is an original, written contract. However, even if there isn't, if this is a new thing they are trying to bring in, they can only do so if there is agreement.
The difficulty of course is enforcing an agreement. If you don't agree with what they are trying to do your remedy is either to go to court or to find another job elsewhere.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.