31090051

Under Scots' law - The house was on the market and we were

Under Scots' law - The house was on the market and we were told by the solicitor that there were three 'noted interests' and a closing date was put on the offers. Only one person actually put in an offer.
If the one offer received is acceptable, should that offer be accepted without further comment, or should the prospective buyer be allowed to revise their offer with the knowledge that theirs was in fact the only offer.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
The buyer can revise their offer if they wish to do so and the seller will decide whether to accept the offer or not.
There is no law which forces a seller to accept any offer for his property whether or not there is one or three offers.
In other words everything is open to negotiation.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What I really wanted to know was whether the seller's solicitor is obliged, under Scots' law, to inform the person who made the offer that theirs was in fact the only offer and giving them the chance to reduce their offer.

In our case, this resulted in a reduced offer when we really felt that if the buyer had been willing to pay the price they had offered in the first place, that should that not just have stood - whatever the competition.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Absolutely not. The solicitor should not have under any circumstances told the buyer that their offer was the only one. That, frankly, is a breach of confidence and the solicitor has acted very unprofessionally.